Powered By Blogger

Wednesday 18 June 2014

Donut resist temptation


Did you know that donuts are world wide?  Yes they may come in different shapes, some with holes, others without, at times filled, or coated with some other delicious toppings, but yes, donuts are world famous. 
And infamous.  Let's be honest, where's the nutritional value in deep fried refined flour and sugar?  
But before you misjudge my tone and take me to be an uppity health freak chief inspector of the fun food police, let me continue.
What if I told you there was a way to have your donut and eat it too! Without feeling like you've just overloaded your system with a crazy cocktail of chemicals that is.

Well good news, here's two super easy recipes to get you rolling those little circles of yum.

The following recipe is adapted from one by Maz Pugoy, founder and creator of my all time fave raw vegan cafe in Sydney, Sadhana Kitchen.  You can find the original recipe here. It utilises a dehydrator which I don't own so I just froze mine.  Worked out great.

Cinnamon Donuts with Salted Caramel Glaze
Makes 8 small donuts

Ingredients

Cinnamon Donuts
3/4 cup raw almonds
1/4 cup raw cashews
1/4 cup shredded coconut
1/4 activated buckwheat flour*
1/4 cup flaxmeal 
1 Tbsp. lacuma
1 Tbsp. mesquite
3-4 pitted dates (soaked for 1 hour)
1 tbs coconut nectar
2 tsp cinnamon powder
pinch of Himalayan pink salt

Salted Caramel Glaze
4 TBS coconut oil melted
2 TBS of mesquite powder
1 TBS lucuma powder
1/4 tsp Himalayan pink salt (or to taste)

Toppings of choice (optional)
I used peanut crumbs, goji berries, cacao nibs, pistachios and dessicated coconut.

Method
Place nuts and coconut in food processor and process until it looks like fine crumbs.  Add the coconut, buckwheat, flaxmeal, lucuma and mesquite and process to combine.  Add the rest of your ingredients and process until it starts to lump together.
Roll mixture into small balls and insert finger into the middle to create the whole.  Shape it into a little donut.  Repeat with all the mixture until it's all used up.
Place in the freezer.

For the glaze, mix all ingredients together until they are really well combined.  If it's cold, you'll need to act quickly as coconut oil solidifies pretty quickly.

When glaze is ready, take donuts out of the freezer and dip into the glaze to coat the top.  Place on a clean plate and continue until you have coated all donuts.  
Add your toppings if you are using.
And your done!
I stored mine in the freezer.


Apart from donuts, I'm also obsessed with matcha.  It's not just that I love all things Japanese, I also just love the taste.  I remember the first time I ever had matcha, it reminded me so much of lucuma ice cream.  It has that same powdery subtle flavour.  
I'm not ashamed to admit that Starbucks soy matcha latte (unsweetened) is my guilty pleasure!
So, that was my inspiration for the next donut recipe.



Vanilla Donuts with Matcha Chocolate Glaze
Makes 8 small donuts

Ingredients

Vanilla Donuts
1 1/2 cups almond meal
1 1/4 cups dried shredded unsweetened coconut
1/4 tsp Himalayan sea salt
3 Tbsp brown rice syrup
1 tsp pure vanilla extract

Matcha Chocolate Glaze
1 tsp of matcha powder (I used Kenko tea which you can find here)
2 TBS of raw cacao butter (melted)
Stevia drops to suit taste
4 TBS non dairy milk of choice 

Method

For the donuts, place all ingredients in the food processor and process until it resembles fine crumbs but holds together.
Roll mixture into small balls and place hole in centre and shape like a donut.  Repeat until the mixture is finished.  Place donuts in the freezer whilst you make the glaze.

For the glaze, combine all the ingredients and mix well to dissolve the matcha powder which can clump together.  It can be strong so you may need to use less depending on your taste.
Once ready, take out the donuts from freezer and dunk into the glaze to coat.  It should harden on contact with the cold donuts so if you are adding toppings, do it quickly so they stick to the glaze.  
Repeat with the rest of the donuts and serve.
Again, I keep mine in the freezer.  You just never know when you might need a donut fix!

P.S I also got featured in a new magazine called Australian Gluten Free Life.  It's a magazine about, yes, you guessed it, all things gluten free.
I answer a lot of questions which I get asked about a lot and also has some of my recipes, so check it out!

It's been a busy week in my kitchen so see you soon with more recipes!

Peas, love and mungbeans

xxb


7 comments:

  1. wow these all look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Roisin! Let me know if you make them and how they turn out x

      Delete
  2. Wow, I just saw these Brenda - awesome, I never made matcha donuts before!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. me neither! first time for everything right?!

      Delete
  3. Wow, both recipes sound so good- would love to give them a go! Nice to see you on blogger lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi peachy!
      Thank you, hopefully you'll give them a whirl.
      I haven't updated this blog because i've moved over to wordpress so any recipes after this one are up on there.
      xx

      Delete
  4. hi, i get most of my kitchen utensils from second hand stores x

    ReplyDelete